Monday, October 1, 2012

My Choices for Let’s Read Plays Reading Event



If you haven’t been informed yet, Let’s Read Plays is a yearlong event for reading classics plays that I will host together with Dessy, starting November 2012. For a whole year we will read play(s) based on different themes every month (you can find the theme list/schedule here.) Based on the schedule, I have made a plan for myself. These are plays I will read for the event:

Nov ’12 – Shakespeare Tragedy: Julius Caesar - with Melisa, Listra, Maria, Helvry
                                                  Antony and Cleopatra - with Listra, Dessy

Dec ’12 – Shakespeare Comedy: The Merchant of Venice - with Dessy

Jan ’13 – Freebie: King Lear 

Feb ’13 – Shakespeare History: Richard III - with Dessy, Melisa

Mar ’13 – Greek: Medea (Euripides)

Apr ’13 – Shakespeare Comedy: The Taming of The Shrew - with Dessy

May ’13 – Shakespeare Tragedy: Romeo and Juliet

Jun ’13 – Oscar Wilde: An Ideal Husband - with Dessy

Jul ’13 – Other Author: The Cherry Orchard (Anton Chekhov) - with Joon Ann

Aug ’13 – Shakespeare Comedy: Twelfth Night

Sep ’13 – Freebie: Saint Joan - Geoge Bernard Shaw

Oct ’13 – Shakespeare Tragedy: Hamlet - with Melisa

I might as well re-read A Midsummer Night’s Dream sometime during the event, or perhaps one of Wilde’s plays if I need to laugh a bit after a distressing reading… :)

What about you? Do you like to read plays? Why don’t you join us in Let’s Read Plays, and have fun in the yearlong event?


6 comments:

  1. I've picked my plays and I'm going to post them on Nov. 1st. I'm excited to dig in and explore some of Shakespeare's lesser known works. I've read all of the ones you've chosen and you're in for some treats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm excited to praise Shakespeare's great works, works that everyone must have read, but me...

      Delete
  2. Besides The Cherry Orchard we've chose about four other of the same plays but will be reading them on different months. Btw, how are you liking Beloved so far? I'm loving it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! It'll be interesting to read each other's review :).
      So far I love Beloved, it's one of powerful books I've ever read. Usually I don't quite like magical realism themed books, but I don't know, this time I am enjoying the magical things around Beloved. I read it very slow, though, to enjoy every moment, so I think I will only finish it around 3rd week or end of Oct.

      Delete
    2. I'm glad you love it, too. I agree it is a very powerful book. I love how when I first started reading it I was confused and didn't really know what was going on, then things became clearer little by little. Then things become confused again. I'm reading slow but for a longer length of time -- it's hard to put the book down.

      Delete
    3. Exactly what I have experienced too. At first I'm confused (until now I'm still often confused), I must read certain passages two or three times before getting the meaning. But Morrison wrote it beautifully. And you're right, it's hard to put the book down :)

      Delete

What do you think?