Tuesday, July 31, 2012

A Victorian Celebration Wrap Up


Two months have been running so fast…and suddenly we have arrived in the last day of July, meaning that A Victorian Celebration, the event hosted by Allie will soon end. I suddenly realized that for the last two months (or at least the entire July) all my readings are classics-victorian-in-english books. Wow! I mean, I am Indonesian, and reading seven books—all in English—for the whole two months was a new record to me, really! When I first put the list, I did not think I will “survive”, I only thought…yeah, it’s only a list, I can just scrap few books of them if it turned out I could not make it. But in the end, instead of scrapping few books, I managed to add one book and three short stories into the list :) Here are they:

The original list:
Sketches by Boz - Charles Dickens
Charles Dickens: Dickens Bicentenary 2012 - Lucinda Dickens Hawksley
Black Beauty - Anna Sewell
The Old Curiosity Shop - Charles Dickens
Twenty Years After - Alexandre Dumas
The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde – Robert Louis Stevenson

In the end, I scrapped Dr Jekyll, and replaced it with

…and added this to the list:

Besides those novels, I have also added three short stories:
The Three Strangers - Thomas Hardy
A Terribly Strange Bed - Wilkie Collins
The Half-Brothers - Elizabeth Gaskell

Other than the books, I also posted two author profiles, both of them are Non English Victorian Authors:

And from Sketches by Boz, I posted four independent posts about Victorian London based on the description in the book:

Finally, I can only say that I really-really enjoyed A Victorian Celebration. It was fun, very fun! All with the posts of all participants (and I must admit I only read several of them), Victorian book reviews, Victorian authors, also quiz and giveaways. Thanks a bunch to Allie, for all your efforts to host this event, it gave me the opportunity to savour the privilege of Victorian readings! I hope we can do something like this again i the future!. :)

4 comments:

  1. Wow -- you got SO MUCH read!! Congrats on a great Victorian Event, Fanda! Especially with it all being in English. That's SO IMPRESSIVE! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jillian, I'm so proud of myself too, I must reward myself by reading anything like now, before going back to classics (but I think I have fallen in love too deep to classics, that even when I have a chance to choose a book I'd like to read, I would think of another Dickens :))

      Delete
  2. Wow! You should see what I did. Haha. Nothing! It's great to read such tremendous volumes in only two months. Great, great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah..but I'm exhausted now, reading Victorian classics turned out to be somehow tiring!

      Delete

What do you think?